Africa – West – Flexibility to work from an office in Search West Region, N/
The Communications Specialist is a member of the West Africa (WA) regional support team and will support all country and regional programming in regards to communications outputs. The Communications Specialist will help the team to increase the visibility of Search for Common Ground and peacebuilding among the general public, support WA country offices in producing high quality external communications and oversee strategic branding in coordination with Communications HQ in Washington D.C and Brussels. The Communications Specialist will work directly with Program Managers, Program Coordinators, and Program Associates part of the WA team, as well as WA country teams, to support the collection of field stories, proofreading and editing of communication products, effective presentation of project results, media campaigns, project related communications and other regionally-focused communication tasks. This position will be based in the Regional Office in Dakar, Senegal, or any other WA capital where Search has an office.
Roles and responsibilities include:
Content Production (30%)
- Assist with special events and promotions in the WA region, including live-tweeting, taking photos, and other communications.
- Create and maintain a WA regional information management system that enables the tracking and accessible storage of success stories, media campaign materials, blog posts, web updates, and other materials from Search’s regional country programs.
- Coordinate with project managers and other country staff to update website project pages.
- Responsible for creating and updating monthly editorial calendar in coordination with the HQ Communications team.
- Travel within the WA region to provide in-country support when needed.
- Lead in-country or remote communications capacity building trainings for country teams.
Copy and Written Communications (30%)
- Support country team staff to develop regular success stories from projects.
- Provide communication product drafting, proofreading, and editing support to country teams for external publications.
- Ensure that web pages are updated on a frequent, rolling basis in line with individual project progress.
- Assist in the development of regional and global journalist and media contacts lists, draft mass press releases and media advisories, and follow up with press contacts.
- Track media coverage of Search for Common Ground and peacebuilding in the region and coordinate with country management staff to highlight and source media interest.
Administration and Other (40%)
- Help recruit consultants and other in-country communication support staff, including supporting procurement processes and following up on deliverables.
- Manage intern communications staff as required.
- Maintain and update media files, organize press clippings and photo files, and organize and manage collateral and promotional material inventory
- Ensure the WA regional team and WA country management teams have and use up-to-date organizational materials
- Update and monitor social media platforms for the region, coordinating with country teams and Communications HQ on social media campaigns.
- Monitor and report on social media, email, press, and other analytics.
- Assist with reporting and presentation creation for country teams and WA regional team.
- Submit reimbursements, payment requests; otherwise interface with the finance department.
- Provide scheduling support for team meetings, events, and travel itineraries and processes related to communications events and campaigns.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, journalism, communications, mass media or other related discipline;
- Minimum 4 years’ professional experience or 2 year professional experience with a Master’s Degree in communications, marketing, press office or related field;
- Experience with copywriting and editing;
- Experience in strategic outreach and creative marketing;
- Experience writing for the web and social media;
Skills and Competencies
- Fluency in English;
- Fluency in French;
- Proficient in Graphic Design (use of photoshop, illustrator
- In-depth knowledge of social media usage and analytics; Including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Instagram, Google +, Pinterest…etc
- Ability to think out-of-the-box and take initiative;
- Able to work independently and effectively in a team environment;
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with a proactive approach;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite and able to learn new technology quickly.
- Video shooting and editing experience with Final Cut;
- Experience with photography;
- Experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience with Salsa or other CRM
This position will close on January 6th, 2019
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity – Empathy – Impartiality – Inclusivity – Courage – Hope – Humility – Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.