Sam Kaplan for The New York Times. Food stylist: Susan Ottoviano.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ pounds peeled shrimp
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons fermented black beans
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Scallions, for garnish
- Put 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add 3 sliced garlic cloves, and cook until golden.
- Stir in 1 1/2 pounds peeled shrimp, 2 teaspoons minced ginger and 3 tablespoons fermented black beans soaked in 2 tablespoons mirin.
- Cook, turning the shrimp once or twice, until they are pink, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and serve. Garnish with scallions.